Plant-based muffins are great for breakfast, dessert, or after a workout. They are free of dairy, gluten, sugar, and oil--all of the ingredients that otherwise make muffins unhealthy--and full of whole, energizing real foods. Muffins make a wonderful gift! Share one with a friend and help them to discover how good plant-based baking smells, tastes, and feels.
Now share with them how meat and dairy free eating helps us to build a more sustainable world. In a recent environmental assessment, the United Nations reported that a global movement, shifting us all towards a vegan diet is “vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change.”  Incorporating more vegan foods is a great way to align with conservation efforts. This is why this recipe creates muffins on a mission!
- 2 flax eggs*
- 1 very ripe banana
- 3 Tbsps. 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsps. gluten-free oats
- 1/2-1 cup fresh blueberries
1. *Make your flax eggs by adding 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed and 2 and 1/2 Tbsps. of water (or for two "eggs" 2 Tbsps. flax and 5 Tbsps. water) in a coffee mug. Stir and set aside for a few minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan for nine muffins. I like to use an unbleached, nontoxic muffin liner made by the brand If You Care that you can purchase on Amazon.
3. In a mixing bowl mash up a soft, overripe banana and add the flax eggs, maple syrup, baking powder, 1/2 of the coconut milk and stir. Then add the oat flour and gluten-free oats and stir again. Add in the rest of the coconut milk or adjust to find a constancy that is not too dry or too wet. Finally fold in the fresh blueberries.
4. Fill in muffin holders using a big spoon and a small spoon. Bake for 25 minutes and let muffins cool for at about 10 minutes before tasting.
Delight in the joy and satisfaction of doing something good for your body and our beautiful earth! Take your mission out into the world. Share a muffin.
 Carus, Felicity. “UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet.” The Guardian. 2 June 2010.
Plan to try this recipe for yourself? Please be sure to tag your muffin with #theforkfulway so that we can feature it in our social media! Who is your baking partner in crime? Please be sure to send this article to your baking bestie!
This article also appeared in the Greener Good sustainable living blog out of Portland, OR.