One night I was experimenting with some ingredients to make a homemade salad dressing and wow, did I ever find the right combination! Ditch the oily processed supermarket dressings and try this easy kale marinade that only gets better and better. I'd bet you even have most of the ingredients already at home. Here it is, the kale salad with all of the wows.
For the dressing:
- 1 whole, ripe avocado
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- 1 Tsp of Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3-5 drops of stevia
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
For the salad:
- 1/2 - 3/4 a head of washed organic curly kale
- 1/4 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tsp ground flax seed
1. Chop and then smash the avocado in a small bowl using the back of a fork.
2. Slice the lemon and squeeze out the juice in each half using a lemon squeezer tool. Add in the liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, stevia and both stir and smash.
3. Add in the onion and paprika powders and stir once more.
4. De-stem and rip up kale leaves into tiny pieces by hand. Fill the salad bowl up half way and mix in half of the dressing. Fill the salad bowl to the top with the rest of the kale and then mix in all of the dressing. This helps with coverage.
5. Add in the pumpkin seeds and flax and toss very well with two large spoons or salad tongs.
6. Cover the salad bowl and let stand for anywhere from 10 mins to an hour. If marinating for more than 10-15 mins, I suggest moving the salad into the fridge.
This salad could be a big lunch or dinner salad, or it could be split among 2-4 as a side. Remember that it contains a whole avocado, so if you are keeping your avocado intake to 1/2 per day (which is recommended if you are trying to lose weight), just keep in mind that it would be twice a much.
I know you'll find this recipe to be a winner. Kale is a very hearty green, so it can soak up moisture without becoming soggy. The pumpkin seeds add some crunch in there too. Sporting a delicious flavor, this high-energy, high-nutrient, digestion-revving, satisfying salad is a great way to start dining right.
Try it for yourself and keep us in the loop! Post your Wow Factor Kale on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and please tag us @forkfuloflove so that we can see it. Let us know your thoughts and experiences below in the comments section or on social media.